Friday, August 1, 2008







I met Pappu, my neighbor from Plymouth here! She is a big part of why I came to Chennai. I had always heard her talk about it, and had met her beautiful mother and father. She is such a warm rich spirit that I admire, and so when a job came up here I was sure it was an Agreement. She picked me up with her father in his car with a hired driver. We went to their beautiful home where Dyvia and Pryia were waiting--her daughters, and her mother. We had tea and chatted, and then they took me to the Jute Emporium and I bought a great bag for $3. We went to a beautiful Sari shop and I bought 2 Salwaar Kamises (on discount, of course), and then to the biggest temple. I am spell bound. How wonderful to go with someone who is a devout Hindu and could explain everything. I didn't realize that astrology is a big component of Hinduism. So much to learn. No photos inside. It is the largest temple here--I don't know how old. The statues inside are so beautiful. The priests ring bells, and burn plates of fire. After they put rice flour on your forehead, that is what you see on people's heads. We went to 3 alters, and each one helps purify you from your desires so that you are ready to meet God. No praying for red bicycles here, the goal (as I was told) is to stop the thoughts and desires and be totally present. It was a very moving experience. After we went to her home for a dinner of rice and dahl and vegetables, and a thin crepe called a dosa--it is made of ground and soaked rice. Pappu's mother and I are about the same age. Her english is excellent, and she is a lovely woman. She is very busy with her children visiting, but I think we will see much more of each other.

2 comments:

sylvia said...

oh my. it's so strange to see faces from our plymouth, MN, cul-de-sac in your photos from india! i love this. and i'm thrilled to hear pappu and her family don't mind to entertain you so generously. what fun it must be, too, for the girls to see you there, so out of place. :)

your photos amaze me! they are incredible! such vibrancy of color and the composition reminds me what a talented eye you have, mom. the contrasts linger even after i close my eyes.

keep up the writing, photography, and posting. we all love it so much -- even the people not posting responses (and there are many). this is valuable stuff. you are. xoxo.

Pauline Danforth said...

Lauri, so wonderful to read your commentary and view your photos. Show us where you live and what the school looks like. Our writing group met yesterday; you were very much in our thoughts. We may be sending you things to read for your enjoyment, not for your commentary as you must be very busy and immersed in your new life.
We miss you, Pauline Danforth