Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Pondy Bazaar

We have been so very busy. The school is showing us around in a group in a van. The city is so enormous, and I am just now beginning to recognize landmarks. They took us to Pondy Bazaar on Sunday. It has shops where the price is fixed, and many street vendors selling everything imaginable. Bargaining prices is a given. Prices quadruple for white people, which seem quite rare. It was hot, hectic and crowded, and I loved every minute. I bought some cleaning supplies, a hand made broom, and a salwaar kamise (modern wear for Indian women, a dress over pants with a matching scarf) for $5.00 U.S. = 200R (rupees). I love watching the people. There is never a minute of boredom--one just needs to open eyes for new delights to see, or close them and listen and smell all of the newness around.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Lauri,
I eagerly look for new posts from you. I try to picture myself experiencing everything with you. Smile. Love, Nicole*

sylvia said...

oooh! a handmade broom! cool. :) i mean it. i can't wait to see what you see. by the time i get there (this makes me so happy to contemplate), you'll know ALL your landmarks and will be showing me around like an old pro. your frame of mind is so lovely for this experience, mama lauri. i love hearing your thoughts.

Anonymous said...

Hey there Lauri!!!
Here in Minnesota it's heading toward 90 and muggy - and pitchblack - big storms coming here.

I am forward your great blog to many at school who are hungry for news on your sojourn.

All is well. xoa